Monday, March 22, 2010

Strictly Come Dancing's Bruno Tonioli heads to the Maldives - and awards it a perfect 10


I was totally worn out when I touched down in the Maldives, as drained as if I'd completed a non-stop dance marathon. During many parts of the year, this is just how my working life seems.

For a long period in the autumn I'm appearing on Strictly Coming Dancing in London at the same time as I'm a judge on Dancing With The Stars - the US version of the programme - in Los Angeles.

When the two series overlap the workload gets very intense, meaning a weekly commute back and forth across the Atlantic. So by the time it got to Christmas, I was feeling fairly tired and bewildered.

The Maldives was the perfect escape - when you arrive it's as if you've been taken to another world.

I flew direct from London with Sri Lankan airline Air Lanka, which was very comfortable. When I first visited the Maldives 16 years ago, I had to stop in Dubai overnight; the fact that you can now fly direct really makes the trip much easier.

That other-world feeling starts with the seaplane transfer from Male airport to the resort, which takes about 25 minutes. I loved it - it made me feel like Indiana Jones. Let the adventure begin!

I was staying at the Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa, a new all-inclusive resort. When I heard the words 'all-inclusive', I have to say I was a little bit nervous. You sometimes hear bad things about the whole all-inclusive concept.

But I can say, right from the start, that the way it works here is hugely impressive.

Let's start with one of my passions - the food. In a word: wow! There are half a dozen different places to eat and drink and they're all very good.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk

No comments: