Friday, October 5, 2007
Police release details of two plotters, more CCTV footage
The Maldives Police Service has yesterday released details of two of the plotters who detonated the home-made bomb inside Sultan Park on Saturday, along with CCTV footage showing their activities during the execution of their plan.
At a press meeting held at the Police Headquarters the Assistant Commissioner of Police Abdulla Riyaz identified the two who had carried out the bombing as Ahmed Naseer, 20, of Saadhunaa Manzil in Gaafu Alifu atoll Kanduhulhudhoo and Moosa Inas, 21, of Finihiyaage in Laamu atoll Kalhaidhoo.
Previously unseen footage showing the activities of the two perpetrators before and after the explosion near Sultan Park was also shown at the press meeting. The footage showed Inas and Naseer walking together into the Sultan Park and coming out one after the other 7 minutes later. They had then met each other around 80 feet away from the main gate of Sultan Park before parting ways and going off in different directions. Sometime later Inas is seen, wearing a black T-Shirt with ‘CIA’ written in white letters on the back, riding on a motorcycle and stopping just past the Sultan Park main gate. A minute later the bomb explodes and Inas is seen speeding away on the motorcycle.
Riyaz said that both Inas and Naseer had now confessed to their parts in the bombing and that both of them had been arrested while in another country where they had fled following the bombing. Riyaz did not reveal which country that they had both fled to.
Riyaz also said that the cycle that Inas had used to get away after detonating the bomb had also been located parked in front of Zikuraa Mosque and had been impounded by the Police.
Riyaz went on to say that they had received information that a SIM card and a mobile phone used in the bombing had been dumped into the sea near Hulhule and had sent a Police team to locate it. A video detailing the search and collection of the SIM card from the Hulhule lagoon was also shown at the press meeting.
Riyaz also named Mohamed Sobah, 19, of V. Landhooge Aage, as having confessed to being part of the plot and showed a picture of him. He also said that 14 people had been arrested so far in connection to the attack that had injured 12 tourists, and that four of them were foreigners. He said that they were also searching for two others and showed their mugshots and revealed their details. The two people that are currently wanted by the Police are Abdul Latheef Ibrahim, 24, of Green Villa in Laamu atoll Kalhaidhoo, and Ali Shameem, 25, of Dhoores in Shaviyani atoll Komandoo.
The Assistant Commissioner also said that no one that had been arrested during the investigation had been released so far and said that every one of those that had been arrested had been brought into custody for their connection with the bombing.
When asked what the motive behind the attack had been Riyaz said that since there were still some people who they needed to interrogate it was difficult to reveal a motive at the moment.
Source: Haveeru Online