Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Winchester woman home from voluntary work in the Maldives


VANESSA Crookes has just returned from the Maldives where she did voluntary work for a month.

Vanessa, of Edwards Close, Kings Worthy, was placed on a tiny Indian Ocean island called Komandoo, measuring just 350m x 250m. In spite of its size Komandoo was home to almost 1,800 people.

She said: “I was placed in the local school, teaching IT and giving workshops on their newly-installed interactive whiteboard.”

Vanessa, who in Winchester works as a volunteer at the Trinity Centre and the Winchester Churches Nightshelter, added: “The Maldivians are a wonderfully gentle nation and I know my work out there was appreciated and beneficial to the teachers and their pupils".

She would like to return: “The people of Komandoo are in my heart now and I wish to continue working with them. I aim to make this a yearly project of mine.”

Her father, John Hickson, a retired naval officer in Winchester, said: “My wife, Dorothy, and I are very proud of Vanessa and all the voluntary work she does in Winchester and overseas. It comes very naturally to her to help those less fortunate than herself. Our daughter is now planning to walk up Kilimanjaro for a local charity and we will support her in this project too.”

Source: http://www.hampshirechronicle.co.uk

No comments: