Sunday, June 14, 2009

Finalists Decided at the SriLankan Airlines Pro in the Maldives


An exciting day of surfing in the Maldives at the Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) PRIME Six Star rated World Qualifying Series (WQS) Sri Lankan Airlines Pro sees just eight surfing remaining in the event which will finish tomorrow in great conditions at Pasta Point.

Pat Gudauskas (USA/Cal) continued his huge run in this event by defeating ASP veteran Cory Lopez in the opening heat of the day.

"I had to forget the excitement of yesterdays heat win and focus on the job ahead and that's to try and win this event" said Gudauskas who created history in his previous heat when he executed what is believed to be the first ever rodeo clown manoeuvre in competitive surfing.

"I'm excited to be through to the final eight surfers and I'm hungry for the win as I'm sure all the other seven surfers are!" added Gudauskas.

Romain Cloitre (France/Reunion Island) continues to be the quiet achiever here in the Maldives and today he was very impressive taking a tightly contested heat over Shaun Gossman (Australia).

The smooth styled 20 year old who bases himself equally between Reunion Island and Hossegor in France has already achieved his best ever performance here in a Prime rated ASP WQS event.

"Last year I was eliminated in my very first heat here so I'm just really pleased to keep progressing through my heats this year" said Cloitre.

"I feel well suited to this wave and I'm looking forward to tomorrow's final day."

While both ASP tour veterans in Cory Lopez and Travis Logie (South Africa) were eliminated today, exciting youngsters Jadson Andre (Brazil) and Owen Wright (Australia) advanced to the quarter finals.

Andre's heat win over Travis Logie was the tightest heat of the day. The 19 year old Brazilian trailed throughout the heat and looked rattled when he uncharacteristically fell on a huge aerial move mid heat.

"That was the strangest thing that has ever happened to me in a contest" said Andre.

I had completed the aerial, landed well and was looking to ride it out but my leash actually got caught on my ring on my finger and that has dragged me off my board, I felt it rip at my finger and it has actually ripped into my skin, unbelievable."

Despite that mistake, Andre showed his professionalism by taking a wave in the final minute, nailing an opening major air reverse and scoring the required 6.33 to take the win.

The final two heats of the day saw the conditions clean up and the swells pulse and the days highest heat and wave scores were registered by Leigh Sedley (Australia) and Austin Ware (USA).

Sedley's 14.5 heat score was the day's highest and he goes into tomorrow's final day with confidence.

"I'm feeling great here, loving the waves and my surfing and boards feel really good so I'm going into tomorrow focused on winning - I believe I can" said Sedley.

Sedley will face Austin Ware (USA) in the fourth quarter final tomorrow. Ware scored the days highest wave score of an 8.5 on his way to defeating Drew Courtney.

Tomorrow will be the final day and is expected to deliver the best waves of the event so far.
Follow this event live at http://www.srilankanairlinespro.com/

Quarter Final Heat Draw:

Heat 1: Pat Gudauskas (USA), Wiggolly Dantas (BRA)
Heat 2: Romaine Cloitre (FRA), Jadson Andre (BRA)
Heat 3: Owen Wright (AUS), Daniel Ross (AUS)
Heat 4: Leigh Sedley (AUS), Austin Ware (USA)

SriLankan Airlines Pro 2009 is made possible thanks to the following sponsors: SriLankan Airlines, John Keells Group, Chaaya Island - Dhonveli, Atoll Travel, Atoll Adventures, Ocean & Earth International, Dhiraagu, Maldives Tourism & Promotions Board, ASP Australasia.

ASP Australasia as the event managers will deliver a quality live Webcast along with Television News Feeds, complimentary Digital Images for newspapers and websites, Web highlight packages and a dedicated 30 minute international television program.

Source: surfline.com

No comments: