President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom on Sunday appointed five new Ambassadors. The appointments are as follows;
- Lt. Gen. (Ret.) Anbaree Abdul Sattar, who resides in New Delhi as the Maldivian High Commissioner to India, was appointed as the concurrent Non-resident Ambassador to Afghanistan.
- Hussain Shihab as the Ambassador of the Maldives to Saudi Arabia.
- Dr. Mohamed Asim as the High Commissioner of the Maldives to the United Kingdom.
- Ali Hussain Didi as the High Commissioner of the Maldives to Sri Lanka.
- Abdul Hameed Zakariyya as the Ambassador of the Maldives to Japan.
The ceremony to hand-over the Letters of Appointment was held at the President’s Office.
After the ceremony, the President met with the Ambassadors and congratulated them and spoke about their responsibilities.
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Abdulla Shahid, Minister for Presidential Affairs, Mohamed Hussain and the Deputy Minister at the President’s Office, Dr. Hala Hameed attended the meeting.